Thursday, June 10, 2010

One more tweak - I need your opinion!

OK, one more tweak, but this time it's pretty obvious - a new typeface. It's Trebuchet MS, a sans serif font that was primarily designed for easy readability on screens. Now that I've switched to a wider column format, the serif Georgia typeface that I was using became tough to read (see note below).

For comparison, here is a sample of the typeface that I was using before, Georgia. Do you see what I mean about it being difficult to read? It seems to get worse as your eyes move to the right side of a line of text. And, it seems (to me, anyway) that with large paragraphs the lines of text seem to "squoosh" together. It's a real pain-in-the-arse! (Oh, awlright, ass!) In addition, I was using a slightly smaller size, again as in this ¶.

What do you think? Please let me know via the comments button. Thanks!

Here are all the "typable" letters for you to get a sense of how things will look:
|ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZabcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz 0123456789 ~`!@#$%^&*()_-+={}[]\:;"'<>,.?/

Note: I'm told that the optimum width of a column for the sake of readability is 1½ alphabets of the language being used. So, looking at the above, see the space between the red pipes (|) - that's what the width of a column should be. It isn't - at least, not on my wide-screen PC - hence my motivation to use a better typeface! (On smaller screens, such as those on netbooks and mobile phones, this will look different - but the fundamental problem is the same.)

No comments: