Friday, June 11, 2010

Well, OK - time to acknowledge the iPhone 4

Since I'm an avowed iPhone enthusiast (long story, future post!) and love my 3G, I guess I need to at least acknowledge the existence of the iPhone 4. In a nutshell, it's g-r-r-eat!

One quibble: I hate it when manufacturers exaggerate the qualities of a feature in their product. Steve Jobs is guilty of this in boasting that the iPhone 4 has a "retina display." While, it seems, the display truly is beautiful, it does not come anywhere close to having this so-called quality. There's a good article from PC World about this.

But what about Android phones? As you can tell if you read this blog regularly, I also happen to be an avowed fan of Google. And they created the Android operating system, which is embedded in a number of phone models that are all worthy competitors to the iPhone. So what do I do? My loyalties are split! But I'm committed to the iPhone for some time, and I still think that Android-based phones have a ways to go. For me, one thing that is truly impressive about Android is that Google has included their GPS-based smart navigation system in all models - free! - thus totally removing the need for GPS hardware. Here's a smackdown which compares the iPhone 4 to the top-of-the-line Android-based phone. You decide!

No comments: